Friday, July 1, 2016

The NaNoWriMo 'Verse


Hello there!!  It’s July.  That means it is the second session of Camp NaNoWriMo.  Some of you know what that is.  For those of you who don’t, let me explain.  National Novel Writing Month (aka NaNoWriMo) is an event that began in 1999 and happens every November – where the participants all commit to writing 50K words in that month (the length of a short-ish novel).  In November, you only count new words – no research, no rewrites, no editing – just writing. There is nothing wrong with that.  I have participated in NaNoWriMo seven times and I LOVE IT.  

Last year I was recovering from hip replacement surgery and I decided NOT to participate in NaNoWriMo. Then I spent the first four days of November becoming progressively more depressed until I realized that I was reading all the plans of my friends to participate and I wanted to do it.  So – I did it.  I don’t know if the stuff I wrote is any good, it was a conglomeration of derivative stories because I hadn’t planned anything.  I still wrote 50K in LESS than 30 days because I didn’t start until Day 4.

Camp NaNoWriMo has recently taken place in April and July.  The rules for Camp NaNo are more flexible – you can do research, you can do edits, revisions, etc.  New words are good too.  You can set your own word count – if you want to write 50K, you can.  If you want to write 30K – awesome.  If you want to write 100K -- knock yourself out. 

In April, I typed the manuscript (a true manuscript, written by hand) of my WIP, Essence of Life.  As always, I did a first revision while I was typing.  I found myself very pleased with the story and the characters.  That lead me to more research in May and June – and the goal for this month is to FINISH the STORY (or at least, this part of the story) so I can get it out for comment in August and then have time to decide what I am going to write about in November.

So – that’s my plan for July!!!  I hope yours is as exciting as I am sure mine will be.


You can find me on Facebook on my personal page: 

And my company page:

I am also on Twitter:
@michelle owings-chri

LinkedIn profile:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/michelle-owings-christian-bbb7278

branded.me:
https://branded.me/michelleowings-christian



No comments:

Post a Comment